Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chapter 2: Go Yale!


I think I must have heard this at least three dozen times as I was running (look at my shirt above). Apparently BYU isn't quite as popular back east. But I have to admit, as much as I love the Y, it felt good to think that people thought I could actually get into Yale:) And, I did get lots of "Go Jimmers" with the occassional "Go BYU".

Now moving on to the blood, sweat, and tears...

1. Pre-race: Ahtlete's Village

Basically all the runners get to hang out for two to three hours before and eat bagels, load up on Gatorade priming gear, and chomp on Power Bars; oh yeah, and go to the bathroom 5,000 times in the 1 million port-a-potties. I was lucky enough to to run into my friend Krista! And at one point I got on a random bus because I was so cold...best decision ever. I got to meet some locals and thus began my obsession with Bostonians. They are the kindest, friendliest, most legit people.

2. Starting line

Oh my goodness. When I first started the race I could barely run a ten minute mile pace because you are packed in like sardines and just mesmerized with the thousands of spectators. I thought to myself..."This has got to die down, right?...We'll all spread out I'm sure..." I was wrong.

3. Mile Ten

By mile ten I took out my iPod and gave up on all aspirations of getting a good time. Not to say I was upset about this, it was actually a really easy decision. The best advice I had heard was to enjoy the spectators and slap as many hands as you could. I think by this point I was up to about 500:)

4. Mile Nineteen

By this point I had a pretty good feel for the course, but I was gearing up for the dreaded Heartbreak Hill that was apparently on its way at mile 20.5...so I HAD to stop and get some lemonade from the five year old on the side of the road, right? He was just too cute.


Can you see me? I'm the short one on the far right...right on Heartbreak.


5. Mile Twenty-Two

I turned to a friendly-looking runner to my left and asked, "Was that really Heartbreak?" Indeed, it was. To all you Utah runners: Boston hills have nothing on us.

6. Mile Twenty-Three

Okay, maybe I got a little over confident. Here came the infamous "Wall"...I was dumb and displayed my lack of experience; I got caught up in the crowd and forgot to take my Shot Bloks...now I was going to have to pay.

7. Mile Twenty-Four and Twenty-Five

Bathroom breaks. Time killers.

8. Finish Line

27,000 runners = no room to sit or stretch at the end. They corraled us through for thirty minutes getting us water, food, medals, and our gear. Many fell down and were wheel-chaired on the side. We all decided that the best option probably would have been to fake it so we could get on one of those. Next time :)

9. Finally!

After standing for thirty minutes and walking ten blocks to get to my family, I saw them in the crowd. Pictures and food took up the next two hours and finally we headed back to the hotel for some pool and sleeeeeeeeep :)



It went by way too fast...which means I have to go back, right?

Oh yeah, coffee ice cream all around...

2 comments: